This is a variation on Macaroni Cheese, and differs from it mainly as it uses quinoa (originally from South America, but now grown in the UK.
Place 60 gms of Quinoa per person in a fine sieve and rinse it under a cold tap for 30 seconds. Then put the rinsed quinoa in a saucepan and add twice the quinoa volume of water into the same pot and add a pinch of salt.. Example e.g. rinsed quinoa 60 gms, filtered water 120 mls.
Heat saucepan at high heat, and once it boils, turn the heat down to a gentle simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Fit the lid to the saucepan and put to one side leave for five minutes to absorb the steam.
Meanwhile whilst the quinoa is being cooked start preparing the white sauce.
White (Cheese) Sauce
- Place 1 tbsp Bertoli or similar in a non stick pan and heat at moderate temperature for 2 minutes.
- Add a finely chopped small shallot and a small clove of garlic and cook for another minute
- slowly add 200 ml milk – stirring continuously until it starts to thicken
- Once it starts to thicken reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes
- Using a fork fluff up the cooked quinoa
- Add the quinoa to the white sauce and mix gently
- Transfer the mixture to an appropriate sized oven proof dish, and sprinkle grated 20 gms grated cheese over the top.
- Finally sprinkle a tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese over the top and grill (I use my halogen oven) set at 180C for 9 minutes, until lightly browned.