For me the best tasting mushrooms of all are the large Chestnut Portobello ones. One of those can make a light lunch snack or a Dinner when served with salad and perhaps chips.
My dinner dish version is:-
- Take a large portobello mushroom and wipe gently with a paper towel
- Remove the stem and put the stemless mushroom to one side.
- Cut the stem into small pieces.
- Add a chopped spring onion to the stem and place the mixture in the mushroom body.
- Slice two or three slices of cherry sized tomatoes and layer these on top of spring onion and stem.
- Chop some basil and sprinkle on top of the tomatoes.
- Place the dressed mushroom on top of a thickly cut slice of toasted bread
- Transfer the mushroom and toast onto a generous piece of lightly oiled kitchen foil and fold to make a parcel.
- Put the parcel under a medium grill (I use a halogen oven) for 6 to 9 minutes (depending on size of mushroom).
- Remove the foil parcel, and carefully open.
- Using a kitchen slice gently transfer the opened parcel on to an oven-proof flat plate.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese e.g. cheddar and parmesan on top of the mushroom and medium grill until the cheese browns
- Alternatively in lieu of the toast, place good handful of finely cut kale onto a hot panini plate and braise gently for 3 or 4 mins. and place the mushroom on top of the kale.