The quantities below should be sufficient for a meal for two; I serve with a green salad (try my home-made Italian dressing)
- 1 tbsp basic olive oil
- 60 gm fresh spears of broccoli cut in half
- 90 gm baby carrots cut into 6 mm pieces
- 2 small sized shallots peeled and diced
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 100 gm arborio or risotto rice
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Bertoli (or vegetable oil fat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan style cheese
Preparation / Cooking
- Put the stock into a saucepan and simmer on a low heat
- Put the oil in a heavy based saucepan, and heat.
- Add the shallots, carrots and the garlic and fry gently for 2 or 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the sliced broccoli spears and continue to cook over a moderate heat for another couple of minutes (so that the vegetables are still crunchy)
- Stir in the rice and ensure all the ingredients in the pan are covered and cook for two minutes
- Add a a ladle of the hot stock and stir gently until the liquid has almost been absorbed
- Add the tarragon and keep repeating step 6 until all the stock has been used and the rice still has a bit of crunch..
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the Bertoli and mix thoroughly
- Add the cheese and mix it into the mixture and serve.